The State of Ohio is the latest to support Mid-Ohio Food Collective during the federal government shutdown.
Last week, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, Ohio Senate President Rob McColley, and Ohio House Speaker Matt Huffman shared a $25 million plan to help the 1.4 million Ohioans currently without their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. In the announcement, they said Ohio food banks, including MOFC, will receive $7 million from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) funds. The announcement also said that $18 million will go directly to Ohio Works First (OWF) recipients, who are at or below 50% of the federal poverty line.
Gov. DeWine ordered the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) on Nov. 6 to provide $7 million to food banks. Roughly $1.4 million of that total will come to MOFC based on the number of SNAP recipients in its 20-county service area. Other food banks in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, Fairfield, Akron-Canton, the Mahoning Valley, and north central Ohio will receive shares of the remaining funds.
“While we will always do everything we can to support Ohioans who need it most, this is not a viable, long-term solution,” said Gov. DeWine said in a news release. “SNAP is a federal program that is specifically federally funded. The best solution remains the simplest one: pass the continuing resolution and re-open the federal government.”
“SNAP is our nation’s first line of defense against hunger, and our neighbors are hurting without it,” said MOFC President and CEO Matt Habash. “These funds from the state are going to make a real difference for neighbors who need help now.”
MOFC has seen support from all levels of leadership since the SNAP disruption. Together, the following partners have contributed nearly $3 million to MOFC and our pantry network:
- $1,440,337.50 from the State of Ohio
- $500,000 from the City of Columbus
- $500,000 from the Franklin County Board of Commissioners
- $500,000 from the Columbus Foundation for 21 central Ohio food pantries
- $25,000 from Columbus City Council
The outpouring of support from our community and state comes at a pivotal moment. Without SNAP, more neighbors will need to lean on MOFC and our pantry network.
“While the federal government is shut down, our city, county, community, and now state leaders have stepped up,” said Habash. “Our hungry neighbors can sleep a little easier tonight knowing that pantry shelves will be fuller for the state’s help.”